At The Handmade Garden Storage Company, we do everything except construct the base for you (but even here we’ll provide some great advice and products: see below).
As a standard part of our service, we will help you from the planning and design stages through to delivery and installation.
With an extensive background in construction, we are able to help you through the planning stage.
Sheds are classed as outbuildings and are considered to be permitted development, please refer to the Government Planning Portal. This means they do not generally need planning permission, subject to a few important provisos:
- The shed should not be sited forward of the front elevation of the original house
- Outbuildings must be single storey with a maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of 4 metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof
- If the building is within 2 metres of the property boundary it must not exceed 2.5 metres in total height
- Any outbuilding within the curtilage of listed buildings will require planning permission
- Further rules apply In National Parks, the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and World Heritage sites.
As standard, our sheds are just under 2.5 metres in height and therefore may be placed anywhere within your back garden. We’re happy to build taller garden buildings with appropriate planning permissions.
If you live in a Conservation Area, listed building or require permission for a taller building, please do not hesitate to get in touch. We can assist you through the planning process or, for a nominal fee, apply on your behalf.
We’ll also work closely with you through the design stage, helping you to understand all your options clearly, and adding any additional details you need to make your building that little bit extra special.
Timber is a natural product which will contract and expand in response to atmospheric conditions so it is very important to provide a solid, level and smooth base to minimise movement.
We recommend two options:
- 100 mm thick, solid concrete base
- Swift Foundations Eco Base. This is a clever system of interlocking plastic grids laid over a membrane and filled with shingle. It has advantages over concrete in terms of cost, speed and ease of construction. Made from recycled material, this is also the eco-friendly alternative. We are pleased to stock this product.
Alternatively, the shed can be placed upon solid, level paving slabs.
Delivery and installation
Our prices include delivery and installation onto a suitable, pre-existing base within Devon and Somerset. Please ask for delivery prices to other areas.
Because each product is made to order, our friendly, hand-picked installation team is trained to deliver when you specify, ensure that your purchase is exactly what you wanted, and have it installed, secured and fully functional in no time. Just as you and your garden deserve.